Sunday, March 05, 2006

Blogging update.

Been a slower posting day today, as I've been busy with some other stuff, and I'll be watching the Oscars tonight, so don't expect too much new the rest of the day either. I do have the CD of the Day post for tomorrow in the can, so look for that at its usual midnight time, and I know you're all waiting with baited breath for the unveiling of my #1 disc of 2005, which will also come at its usual time, at about 7:30AM Eastern. I can tell you it will be a properly considered "power pop" release, unlike my #2.

So if you're reading this today, take an opportunity to check out some of the great discs already blogged about in the archives while I somehow hope that Good Night and Good Luck can miraculously beat out Brokeback for the Best Picture Oscar.

UPDATE: Well, there was an upset in the Best Picture category, but it wasn't Good Night. Instead, it was the movie I thought the least of among the five (I did see them all), Crash. It was well-made and well-acted, but thematically it had all the subtlety of a mallet to the head.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Jeez. I can barely keep up with you, so you do need a break. I am still digesting last weeks releases that you have recommended.

By the way, thanks for making such a good power pop blog. Often I end up buying the wrong stuff on Not Lame, because Bruce is rating almost everything he sells he rates "Highly Recommended!!" This is not always the case, as I find maybe 2 - 3 trax worthy of praise and the rest of the CD is filler (i.e. The Paper Airplane Company, "Marbles" album)

Recently I bought these 3 CDs:

Broken Ness "ICU in Dandylions"

Tripsitter "California Son"

Easterly "s/t"


Any thoughts on these albums?

Steve said...

The only of those three I have is the Tripsitter. Being a 2004 release, I haven't listened to it much lately, but I do remember enjoying it quite a bit. I'll have to look into the other two.

Steve said...

Oh yeah, and about Bruce and his "highly recommendeds", you have to keep them in perspective.

Here's how to translate:

"Highly recommended" means it's just OK.

"Very Highly Recommended" means it's pretty good.

"Extremely Highly Recommended" means it's really good.

and then you have the pinnacle, "Big Time Extremely Highly Recommended", which he broke out for the James Cooper release last year.