Wednesday, March 29, 2006

CD of the Day, 3/29/06: Sean Watkins-Blinders On


Although the name Sean Watkins might not jump out at you, there's a good chance you've heard of the band in which he has his regular gig, Nickel Creek, perhaps the best known of the "new" bluegrass bands. Blinders On, however, is no bluegrass album. Instead, it's high quality singer-songwriter pop, albeit a bit more folky than what I usually tout around here.

I don't have time to go into excruciating detail, but two tracks alone are worth the price of admission: the opener "Summer's Coming", which sounds a bit YHF-era Wilcoish, and "I'm Sorry", which features Jon Brion on piano and has the feel of a Brian Wilson ballad. You can stream both of these tracks on his myspace page, and sample and/or buy at Amazon.

1 comment:

bobbym said...

I got a couple of tracks off of this. I like it a lot.

:-)

Bob