Saturday, January 05, 2008

Weekend Roundup.

Four more discs to jumpstart the new year:

Andy Lehman-Landline. The first influence listed on his myspace page (and also mentioned at the CD Baby page) is Butch Walker, and I also hear some Andy Sturmer influence here as well. There are some real outstanding tracks including "I Don't Think of Love (The Way That I Used To)", "Time to Go" (which reminisces about listening to the Bee Gees on the radio), and "Lightning Fell". This one's grown on me in the weeks I've been listening. CD Baby | MySpace

Michael Trent-Michael Trent. This one will be right up the alley of Michael Penn fans as well as artists like Jon Brion, Plasticsoul and Duane Dolieslager. Standout tracks: "I'll Be Home Soon" (where the Penn reference hits home), "Most Sincere Apology" (great upbeat track), "Already Gone" (which reminds me of one of my favorite Penn songs "Whole Truth"), and the catchy "Keep Movement". Discs like these make me think I should do my year-end lists the following June in the interest of accuracy given the 2007 discs that come late to my attention. CD Baby | MySpace

The Third Men-Boost. This Omaha band's debut will be a godsend to those who lover older-school power pop in the vein of The Toms, The Only Ones, The Records, and The Grip Weeds. Opener "High" is a classic example of this sound, and the fake crowd noise gives it a special touch. "What a Day (to Call it a Day)" could have come off a Nuggets collection, and "Pen and Paper" evokes psychedelic-era Byrds. The Turtles-ish "Come on Home" is the personal favorite here. There's certainly nothing third-rate about The Third Men. CD Baby | MySpace

Sean Ashby-Brass and Gold. This former Sarah McLachlan sideman steps out with a solo disc that sounds nothing like his former employer (of course I wouldn't be mentioning it here if it did). It's quality singer-songwriter pop/rock, from the rocking 1-2 opening of "Dreamin'" and "This Machine" to fine slower tunes like the title track and "Nova Girl". CD Baby | MySpace

No comments: