Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Absolute Powerpop Readers' Top 10 of 2006.

First of all, thanks to all of you who have expressed their condolences over the passing of my father. It was great to hear from all of you, and we're all doing as well as could be under the circumstances.

Now, on to the reader poll. I received about a dozen lists, and those that didn't order them I gave 5.5 points to each disc listed (which is 10+9+8 etc divided by 10). Here's the tally (first place votes in parentheses):

1. LEO, Alpacas Orgling 39.5 (1)
2. The Format, Dog Problems 38
3. Bob Evans, Suburban Songbook 18 (1)
4. Roger Joseph Manning Jr., The Land of Pure Imagination 17 (1)
5. Johan, Thx John 15
6. The Skies of America, Shine 12.5
7. Ben Kweller, S/T 11 (1)
8. The Oohs, Llamalamp 10 (1)
tie Cheap Trick, Rockford 10 (1)
tie The Weepies, Say I Am You 10 (1)

A pretty clear cut top two, even given the relative small sample size. The Format appeared on the most ballots, but amazingly didn't get a single #1 vote. Both will be in my top 10, and the top 100 list is still on (probably to be posted next week). In the interim, I will likely post my favorite 20 songs of the year, although I won't be ranking them within the list.

2 comments:

Howard said...

Great list. And may I offer my condolences as well. I hope you and yours have a nice holiday.

Anonymous said...

Steve - My condolences as well, and thank you for taking the time to put this list together. I eagerly await your top 100. This site has been a spectacular resource for new power-pop, so a heartfelt thank you for continiung to update.

I contributed to this reader's list, and I did a lengthy post discussing my top ten on my blog, in case any of you are interested in checking it out: Top Ten Albums of 2006. I'd love to see if any Absolute Power Pop readers had similar choices and/or if anyone has any recommendations for me in case I missed anything great.