Friday, December 08, 2006

I Want You!


I want you, readers, to send me a list of your top 10 power pop (and I define that term quite elastically as you likely know, so you can as well) discs of 2006. Email me at the link over on the right of the page by December 18 (that's 10 days from now), and after all the lists are in, I'll compile the votes on a 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 points basis. You're also free to leave your top 10 in the comments to this post. I'll accept EPs, and stuff that came out in late 2005 (or things that were buried in 2005 before seeing the light this year, like Andrew LeDrew's Ladies Lookout). But no Sufjan Stevens, please.

4 comments:

bobbym said...

There is so much music that the year it came out doesn't mean too much to me.
But my discovery of the year for myself is Saul Zonana. I heard 2 songs and bought the whole catalog from eMusic (my first booster pack). Not a bad song in the bunch for me. Hits all of my musical buttons.
It's another one of those 'how did I miss this guy' stories.

http://www.myspace.com/saulzonana

Anonymous said...

I was listening to the XM Unsigned channel when I heard "Lullaby" from a band called gidgets ga ga.
I checked them out at the Chicago IPO and they were a blast live. I also bought their whole catalog off itunes and it's been ear candy ever since...

http://www.myspace.com/gidgetsgaga

Anonymous said...

Duponceau's Top 10 CD’s 2006

01. Bob Evans – Suburban Songbook
02. Johan – THXJHN
03. Camera Obscura – Let’s Get Out Of This Country
04. Irene – Apple Bay
05. The Format – Dog Problems
06. David Mead – Tangerine
07. The Bees (U.S.) High Society
08. Spearmint – Paris In A Bottle
09. The Feeling – Twelve Stops And Home
10. Silver Sun – Dad’s Weird Dream

Honorable Mention:

11. Irving – Death in the Garden, Blood on the Flowers
12. The Church – Uninvited, Like The Clouds

Biggest Disappointments:

Roddy Frame - Western Skies
The Bluetones - S/T

Seattle Powerpop said...

The "all Seattle" powerpop list for 2006:

The Doll Test - Gasoline and Banks

Central Services - We're All Smarter Now

Jon Auer - Songs From the Year of Our Demise

The Long Winters - Putting The Days to Bed

Thee Emergency - Self released ep

Shake Some Action - Self titled

Dept. of Energy - Self titled ep

The Lashes - Get It

The Electric Kisses - Self titled

Model Photographer - (fingers crossed it's widely released before end of year!!)